Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Four Days - 100 Miles?

What is this 100 miles you speak of?  Well, let me tell  you about it.  One day I was at work and I was working very hard, as I often do at work, and I came across an article about Western States 100.  At this time I was about 240 lbs and considered running 2 miles to be a very serious accomplishment, worthy of celebrating - by feeling really good about myself and having several beers.  I gazed out across the expanse of the internet at this article in slack jaw astonishment.  People who ran 100 miles in one day?!?!  Right then and there, I knew that was something that I wanted to do.

I am yet to officially toe the line at a 100 mile race and I have not accomplished the 100 mile training week either.  I was registered for the Cajun Coyote 100 but officially dropped to the 100k several days before the race and then promptly DNFed at 20 miles (ankle injury).  I have logged training weeks in the 80s numerous times but have never been able to make that final push to 100 miles.

Why 100 miles? Well the 100 mile race is obviously self explanatory.  The 100 mile training week is probably harder to grasp b/c lots of people run and finish 100 mile races and never log a 100 mile training week. However, this is something that has been nagging at me and I would have a lot more confidence heading into a 100 mile race knowing that I have actually covered 100 miles in a training week.  Why? Who knows.

Anyway, I have a somewhat free schedule over the next 4 days and will attempt to log a 100 miles.  Do I expect any physical benefit from this? Well, actually, no.  In fact, probably the opposite and that is why I would actually bet on myself to not reach 100 miles.  I would give myself about a 30% chance to accomplish this.  Reasons why? 1. I have to mow the yard on one of those days; 2. I am naturally inclined to be lazy; 3. Beer; 4. Exactly!

I will officially start my clock at 12:01 am tonight and let it run until 11:59 pm Sunday.  I will be officially inspired by Guy on a Buffalo!




No comments:

Post a Comment