Friday, May 3, 2013

Rethinking My Lifting

I tipped the scale at 206.5 the other day and that is down from the 214ish that I carried into Hells Hills.  The problem is that I really need to be down in the 180s come Cactus Rose (I'm 6'4ish), if I want to do anything more than just shuffle to a finish.  I was around 200 last summer for El Scorcho and got down into the 190s during the summer.  I then started doing more upper body lifts and obviously eating / drinking more during football season and on into the holidays.

I noticed that I have really added some bulk across my chest and shoulders over the past 6 months or so.  Do I need bulk across my chest and shoulders? No.  In fact, I need to lose this bulk and slim down my upper body.  I'm not really sure how to do that but cutting out bench press and standing press would probably be a good start.  I'll still do daily pull ups and push ups to maintain strength but will limit my lifting to squats and deadlifts.  

I will also need to get a bit more serious about my diet and eat cleaner over the summer.  I've got a general plan in mind for my Cactus Rose training - weekly speed work plus lots of long runs - that I will hammer out in another post.

Started eating cleaner already, well except for the beer!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment